PART 3: Pool Covers
Keeping your swimming pool clean and maintaining the equipment is essential for its longevity, a pool cover is the most important piece of equipment you can buy for your pool; they cut down on energy use and costs whilst saving you time and money in the long run.
If that wasn’t enough to convince you, here are the top 8 reasons why you should buy a pool cover:
- Stops evaporation - wondering why you have to keep topping up your pool? Every day your swimming pool is left uncovered, your pool water is slowly evaporating and a pool cover will help prevent this.
- Reduces chemical use - as helpful as pool chemicals are, they can cause allergic reactions if used too frequently. A pool cover will lessen the chemical use by up to 30%.
- Retain heat - covering a heated swimming pool when not in use will reduce heat loss, giving you warmer water. For a swimming pool that relies on the sun for heat, covering it at night can still make it warm enough to swim in the next day, instead of losing all the heat overnight when the temperatures drop.
- Keeps the pool clean - Simply having a cover on your pool will stop debris finding its way in, resulting in less hassle and cleaning for you.
- Cuts energy costs - pool covers will conserve your energy consumption whether your pool is heated with gas, electricity, a heat pump or solar.
- Saves money - it’s worth the investment, your heating bills will be lower, you’ll save on chemicals and cleaning and you won’t use as much water.
- Easy to use - an automatic pool cover can be used at the click of a button and the manual covers are just as easy.
- Safety - most importantly, swimming pool covers can save lives. A swimming pool is the ultimate venue for family fun so make sure everyone stays safe, even if your pool is fenced off, a pool cover will be the last layer of protection.
Swimming pool covers are an investment, there are multiple choices to fit every price limit so make sure you budget for the right style. We’ve put together a list of the pool covers we use with approximate pricing and merits (based on a 8m x 4m outdoor pool):
Manual Solar Bubble Cover - £900 -£1200 - Poor safety, good heat retention, manual operation
Semi Automatic Foam Cover - £3-5000 - Average safety, excellent heat retention, easy to use
Automatic Slatted Surface Mount Cover - £7-9000 - Good safety properties, excellent heat retention, very easy to use
Hidden Automatic Slatted Cover - £18-20,000 - Good safety properties, excellent heat retention, amazing aesthetics, extremely easy to use
Automatic Safety Cover - £19-20,000 - Highest level of safety properties, excellent heat retention, very easy to use
Download the pdf "Pool Covers"